Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Time Makes You Bolder

Business first: I’ve made two new decisions for the blog, to make it a little more fun for moi. First, Blog Titles will now be lyrics from a song I’m currently loving. This is partly for fun and partly so I don’t have to work so hard to name these stupid things. I will try to make it relevant, but I make no promises. (On that note- no pun intended- any good music you would like to send me is much appreciated, gracias!). Second, every post will have a haiku. Because what isn’t made better by a haiku? Here’s this week’s:

It’s Not the Stupidity, It’s the Humidity (A Haiku)
Didn’t realize how
Humid it is until my
Altoids melted. Boo.

Moving on. As those of you not in the “Ignorance is Bliss” camp that actually watch the news might know, Guate is having some serious weather crises. This basically translates to rain, rain, rain, rain, rain. In the words of the oh-so-wise Enrique Iglesias, Lluvia Cae. That, and a lot of landslides and road closures. Don’t worry, though, I am safe and sound in my little aldea (though our river is flowing considerably freer and deeper these days) and Peace Corps has safety precautions coming out of their ears, so we’re in good hands.

Therefore, other than some seriously drenched dress pants and a couple cancelled activities due to road closures, there has been little excitement for us trainees in terms of the weather. We did have big excitement, though, with our first free day in Antigua on Sunday! Thanks to the blunders of trainees passed, there is now a policy that we are not allowed to travel anywhere out of site during training except on three designated days, the first of which was Sunday. Many of us met up in Antigua to spend the day. We walked the town, had some coffee, hiked el Cerro de la Cruz (see picture below), had some really great sandwiches for lunch at La Café Condessa, and basically just enjoyed our freedom. Probably my favorite point of the day was my fellow UW student’s comment when asked if she ever wanted to get married: “I would never subject anyone to having to spend the rest of their lives with me”. I think we’re kindred spirits.

Speaking of reactions to the thought of marriage, I had my first bout of violent illness. Woo! I’m fully recovered now, but I think I threw up (yes- I THREW UP.) everything I had eaten since I got to Guatemala. Insta-diet, I guess. Just thought I’d share that with the world, because I’m sure you’re all sitting at home in the states wondering how my digestion’s going.

Wilson is still pretty much the light of my Guatemalan life. He cracks me up! Really all of my host family is wonderful- they love to laugh, which makes everything easier. One thing I most definitely appreciate about the Guatemalans is their ability to laugh at themselves. I think it’s something we should all do more of. I’m also getting much better at communicating so we’re all getting to know each other a bit more.

Two more weeks until Field Based Training, which means a whole week in an actual site with volunteers and hands on stuff! I’m super pumped for that because it’ll give us such a better idea of what exactly the next two years of our life will be. Honestly, though, I’m really enjoying the whole flying by the seat of your pants, living day-to-day thing for now. It’s certainly a nice change from the utterly depressing schedule of a grad student. So, off to do more of that living thing!
Un Volcan from the PC Office
My sitemates and me on Cerro Nino (View of our pueblo behind)
Cerro de la Cruz! With Antigua below =)

1 comment:

  1. Hii Lexi,

    Finally I figured out how to comment on this thing lol.. You look like your having an amazinggg time. I love reading your blog and your pictures are greatt.. I miss you =)

    ReplyDelete