Tuesday, January 3, 2012

But in the end the only steps that matter are the ones you take all by yourself

The Upside (A Haiku)
Back to site again.
Bakery lady tells me:
“You’re back! We missed you.”

Can you believe it’s 2012?? I certainly can’t. I remember when I thought graduating in 2009 seemed far away.

Well, for me, 2011 ended with what I’m pretty sure was the best Christmas vacation in the history of the world. Not only did I get to spend two whole weeks cuddled up on the couch with my mama and crazy auntie, I also got the perfect Christmas surprise when 3 of the very best friends a girl could ask for showed up in Seattle.

It was such a perfect vacation, in fact, that I was pretty devastated when the 29th rolled around and I had to board that plane back to Guatemala. Even a fabulous New Year’s weekend with the Oriente girls in Antigua couldn’t really bring me out of my funk. When I got back to site last night, I climbed in bed and cried at sappy movies. It’s the best therapy.

But, it’s 2012 now. CODEFEM is, apparently, officially gone, and I have literally a completely clean, fresh slate to do whatever I want with. So, today I spent pretty much the whole day in bed watching shows and eating junk food (we all need a lounging day every once in a while, right?). Tomorrow I’ll unpack, go grocery shopping, and clean up my life. And Thursday I’ll start figuring out what the heck to do with the rest of this year. I’ve already started a list. Easy ones: get a hammock, fix up the back patio. Big tasks: figure out that whole degree project thing, do a GLOW (Girls Leading Our World) camp.

It’s one of those things that, once I get up off my ass and get moving on it all, I’m sure everything will seem much better. So I’m planning to take this day of lazy moping, and then get moving. I figure maybe if I put it here for the world to see (okay, for the, like, ten or so people that actually read this thing to see), I’ll feel more obligated to stick to it. Consider that my New Year’s resolution.

Beautiful Seattle view from the Westin hotel =)
The three best Christmas presents ever!
Xmas with the familyyy
A glittery New Year's Eve with the Oriente girls.

1 comment:

  1. loved your new years eve outfit. i love you so much i learned how to do this. mommy loves you so much she showed me how. chad loves you most.

    ReplyDelete