Friday, August 13, 2010

La Gringa!

So, here I am! We arrived on wednesday, and have been staying with a host famiy near Peace Corps Headquarters. My family has been amazing- hay Mimi y Orlando, and their 4 children; Benjamin, Kimberly, Esteban, y Gabriel. Mimi could not believe that I was an only child ("are your parents sad?")or how tall I am ("it's because you are an only child- you got all the food!"). The family lives on a compound with all of Mimi's siblings and their families, and relatives often pass by each others' houses to say hello. Some of the other trainees are living in one of the other houses, and they stopped by one night with their host mother, who introduced herself as "Tia Nora" porque "Just like Mimi is your mother for now, I am your aunt". The Guatemalan people are friendly, patient, and generous. They also have a quick and happy sense of humor that I adore already.

Today I found out my site assignment for training- San Luis Las Carretas, which is about an hour from Peace Corps Headquarters. I will go there tomorrow and meet my host family for the next three months! I will live with them alone, but three other trainees will be in the same pueblo. From tomorrow on, we will only come to headquarters on tuesdays, and all of our other training will happen in San Luis. I am excited to be able to get settled for a while- it's funny to think that three months is about how long I spent abroad in Brussels, and this will only be training!

When we went home for lunch today, Esteban (my four year old host brother, who has been so very shy until now) was waiting outside, and upon seeing us yelled "Las Gringas estan aqui!" And ran to say hello. It was adorable, and the first time I could understand him in his toddler-espanol!

I am already learning a lot about everything possible- but for the most part have simply learned how easy the Guatemaltecos are going to make this for me. They are so understanding, and so very patient, and (although there has been the requisite awkwardness of living with complete strangers who speak a different language) they and the Peace Corps Staff have left little doubt in my mind that I am cared for. And really, what more could I need?

2 comments: