Tuesday, October 5, 2010

And It Takes Some Work To Make It Work

Spanglish (A Haiku)
English is muddled,
Spanish has good days and bad.
Sometimes they both fail.

Highlight of the week has definitely been our surprise party for sitemate Frank, although I’m still not sure how we managed to keep it a surprise… once again, all the families got together to celebrate. The moms (with the help of Allie and Noor; I had to “babysit” Frank) made paches, a typical Guatemalan dish made with potatoes and cooked in banana leaves. It was also Dia de los Niños, so Brenda got a piñata for the kids and Frank (the big kid). It was a great night, ending with me introducing Wilson and the twins to the magic of photobooth and all the laughs that come with it.

Other than that the week has been quiet. We visited a macadamia nut farm and had delicious macadamia pancakes. We also had a Spanish assignment to make something out of recycled materials, so I made a coin holder out of my razor blade container and decorated it with magazine cutouts. It’s pretty much my favorite possession now.

Tomorrow I head back to the east for volunteer visits. I’m visiting Reianna, the volunteer who took us up on the church roof during FBT. They say that where we are going for these visits is completely random and has nothing to do with where our sites will be; I’m not sure I believe that. Either way, we find out a week from Thursday where our sites are- I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment