Sunday, November 7, 2010

I'm a big girl now, see my big girl shoes, it'll take more than just a breeze to make me fall overboard

My Favorite! (A Haiku)
I finally live
in a place where palm trees grow.
How cool is that, right?

Throughout training volunteers, nurses, trainers, admins all told us that Peace Corps, especially the first three months of service, would be like a roller coaster. There are highs that are reeeeally high, and there are lows that are juuuust as low. I totally underestimated how right they were. Also, it should be noted, that I HATE ROLLERCOASTERS. I always have. Even the little kid ones that are basically a fast train scare the crap out of me. But, that being said, I have now survived my first week of service, and while there have certainly been some moments where my roller coaster plummeted for a bit, there have also been some really great times (that need some metaphor better than the high point of a roller coaster, since that is usually the point that I am cussing to myself and trying not to cry in anticipation of the upcoming drop to death).

For instance: One afternoon I spent a sweaty hour or two trying to put up my mosquito net in my room. I knew it was going to be a pain in the ass, since I can’t put holes in the walls, the ceilings are real tall, and I had no ladder. However, the bat that makes kissing noises at me from the rafters every night and the increasing number of mosquito bites on every part of my body were enough motivation to come up with some sort of rigging for the net (because, although Mr. Murcielago has not come out of the rafters at all and kissing noises are kind of cute and all, I am just waiting for him to fly at my neck in the middle of the night and start sucking. No thank you). After some serious creative thinking and a lot of improvising, I somehow managed to get the thing in place. And guess what? I lovee sleeping under a mosquito net! It’s kind of like a cozy little fort!
mosquito net!

Also spent a day with fellow volunteers in Chiquimula, sharing horror/success stories and running errands. It is nice to be getting to the point where I’m starting to get the hang of the transportation around here, and the layout of “big city” Chiquimula. It was also quite nice to spend the day speaking English with others who were going through the same things.

Last but not least, I…Cooked! Yes, not a huge achievement in the lives of many but, when you: (1) come from a non-cooking household like mine and have no cooking practice, even in a familiar kitchen and country, (2) are in a foreign country where the ingredients are all different and in another language, and (3) are using a kitchen that you don’t know anything about with no counters (and no can opener…that was an adventure) trust me, I consider the corn chowder I somehow managed to scrape together a masterpiece. It was quite tasty, too, especially with some delicious fresh bread bought from the bakery down the street from my house (bad news). And, even better, I have enough leftovers for a couple more meals. Maybe I’ll turn into a chef just yet…
my beautiful creation! (yes, i was so proud of it i took a picture)

No comments:

Post a Comment