Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Then Slowly Grows a Little Faith

Day One (A Haiku)
Laughing/Hating Life
Stranded in Chiquimula
Welcome to Peace Corps!

Well, official Day One as a Peace Corps Volunteer started off with a bang… Actually, it was more of a deafening hissssssss. Yes, that is the lovely sound that our bus began to make right around hour 3 of the journey East (after already sitting in almost Seattle-esque traffic for the first leg of the trip). It probably shouldn’t have been too much of a surprise, as the door of the bus was tied shut with rope and the driver had been fiddling with every button on the dashboard like he didn’t know what any of them were for. Nevertheless, there was a moment of slight panic when the hisssssss caused the bus to pull over on the side of the road and then all the lights went out. The workers seemed to think that the solution was to let everything rest for a bit and then start up again, so that’s what we did…about four times, until finally they decided that there really was something wrong with the bus and that we needed to flag down a different bus.

By the time my fellow PCV, Kristen, and I had finally gotten to Chiquimula our connecting busses had long since stopped running. As much of a disaster as it was, it was not so bad loafing in a hotel room, watching My Best Friend’s Wedding, eating pizza for a night before the real work started.

Holy Hot (A Haiku)
My deodorant
Has turned to liquid and my
Envelopes melted.

Nowww it’s three days later and I’m slowly (SLOWLY) settling into my site. It’s going to be a huge adjustment but each day I make a baby step (Yesterday it was sharing cake with my host family, who until then hadn’t really said two words to me. Today, it was buying heart shaped baskets to organize my belongings) and I’m finally starting to have faith that things are going to be okay-even though, yes, my deodorant literally squirted at me this morning, and all of my envelopes have melted shut.

me an wilson- i miss him already!
we're volunteers! some of us at swearing in (at the ambassador's house!)
Walking into my town from the main road
my office
my new room =]

No comments:

Post a Comment